LIFE Vest

The incident happened several months ago but I'm still having nightmares about it...

I was on a vacation with my family in Langkawi Malaysia and we went Snorkelling. The shore's sight was a disappointment but the interaction with the aquatic creatures was still amazing. As we were exposed to the open ocean, everyone was given a life vest to wear for obvious reasons.

I however found that the life vest was getting in the way of my interaction with the aquatic creatures as it wouldn't allow me to go deeper into the waters. So I took off my life vest and venture further out into the ocean with my cousin who was better at swimming than me.

All was fine and good until we were at around the 3.5m - 4m depth zone (which was pretty far out, only a handful of people were out here with us with their life vest on) and I began to felt the gravity pulling me down. (The people were pretty far away from us so we didn't shout for them)

I was under immense pressure and I was pretty much out of breath. Before I knew it, I needed to return to shore as I could feel myself sinking... I signal my cousin and he realised what was going on hence he immediately gave me a strong push towards shore.

At this point I was already panting and dying to keep myself from being submerged. Nonetheless we kept swimming towards shore albeit at a very slow speed. I panicked several times and drank about a good 3 cups of sea water on the way back and it's not that I gave up but I really really thought that I was going to die due to the depletion of oxygen.

I would've died if its not for my cousin who gave me a push every now and then on our journey back to shore and I could tell he was having a hard time too. We were both panting.

My vision was fading and I couldn't see clearly after awhile. My body was still able to swim for awhile longer and I thought to myself I was really on the brink of drowning.

Then I felt my cousin tapping on my feet and I turned around... My feet was touching the ground... I've never felt so relief in my life, seriously. We were not back on shore yet (we were at a depth zone of 1.65m) but our feet could touch the ground and we just walked back from there.

TLDR; Please wear a life vest as long as you are going into the ocean or have someone wearing a life vest with a spare one following you.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog